This time of year is most commonly associated with making a fresh start and setting goals for one’s self or the organization they lead. We all know the purpose and power of a plan for the business, yet only 3% of leaders actually sit down and make a personal plan for themselves.
When I ask leaders why they don’t have a personal plan, some, when they are totally honest with me, will give me one of more of the following excuses:
I find it amazing that we would actually go through life without a plan for ourselves as an individual. Yes, you arrived at the end of 2018 by not having a personal plan; however, what would have happened if you had a plan?
Let’s go back to the 3% number I quoted above. Did you know that in the mid-1960’s, a Harvard professor polled his class to find out how many had a personal plan for themselves? Only 3% out of hundreds did. Twenty years later the same professor reached out to survey the students he had originally studied. He found that the 3% group that had personal plans in the first survey, had accumulated more wealth than the other 97% put together.
When I sit down with high achievers and successful executive leaders, I rarely find a single one that does not work from a personal plan. When I sit down with junior and middle managers, I rarely find one that has a personal plan.
Our brains are powerful computers that operate on a conscious and unconscious level. When we set in motion an idea or plan, we are also programming our own personal super computer to achieve results. The incredibly powerful unconscious part of our brains goes to work to deliver. This is why, when you decide you want something, like a new car, you start to see the same make, model and color of car you want virtually everywhere.
Building a personal plan that is simple, measurable, achievable and balanced is critical to you achieving your success. However, YOU define success.
Robert Murray is a Vancouver, BC based Business Strategy Consultant, #1 Best Selling Author, and International Keynote Speaker. For further advice, insight and inspiration on how to unlock your inner leader, follow Robert on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
Click here to get his weekly Tuesday Tune Up blog posts straight to your inbox.Business Goals, Goal Setting, Planning, Robert Murray, Robert S. Murray, Strategic Planning